3.09.2012

The value of a quiet spot.

Maybe because I grew up an only child, I never truly understood the true value of peace and quiet. Never in my life (besides when the nephews/niece came to visit) have I had to wake up to screaming children or the pounding of feet. Maybe that was a disadvantage for me...obviously I'm going to have to put up with it someday. Except I swear if my kids make enough noise to make it sound like the house is caving in, they're going to get in trouble. Because as much as I didn't realize it until now, I very much value my quiet time. This is something that I have unfortunately come to realize of late because of my utter lack of it. The most quiet time I get is when I work at the hospital in Mother/Baby (yeah, ironic that the quietest part of my day is in the section of the hospital with all the screaming babies). Today was the first day in a couple months that I've actually been woken up by my alarm instead of the sound of my ceiling being pounded to pieces, and I suspect that that was only because I've been so exhausted this week that I slept right through it, because there was the pounding about twenty or so minutes after I'd woken up. And it's not just in the morning that that happens. It's at night, too. And it's constant. Not just a couple thumps and we're done. It literally sounds like the stampede from Jumanji is running around upstairs. Since I grew up with a very low noise level, I have a hard time concentrating when there's any sort of loud noise. I could never study when there was music playing, I find it difficult to focus in a room full of chatting people, and I'm having the hardest time getting any of my book read in my current living situation. Which is a real shame, because I very much enjoy reading. I can't tell you what I would give for a comfortable, sound-proof room with a big, cushy couch and some large windows (to let in the beautiful and rarely-seen-in-my-apartment sunlight) at this current moment in time.

I swear I'm never having visitors when I get my own house (please please please let that be a not-too-distantly-in-the-future acquisition!). Or maybe I'll just have a separate guest house so they can't disturb me with their absurdly over-the-top volume.

That being said, maybe I should look at this as a blessing...so I can acclimate myself to high noise levels...for the future....

No but let's be serious. The sooner I get my own place, the better.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you should move. You sound very discontented. On a happier note, I'm glad you're reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not :( By the time I found out what the book actually was, I couldn't find it at the library. I'm reading something else.

    ReplyDelete